Thursday, December 1, 2011

Baptismal Home

Clearly, the best thing about this picture is that it provides a great opportunity to make fun of my late 90s stylin'. However, once we're over that...

This is me and my grandmother revisiting the church where I was baptised, St Andrew's Sonning in the Diocese of Oxford. It's a flint church that was rebuilt in the mid nineteenth century after having probably been first established in - wait for it - the early 7th Century!

I don't know anything much about the church today, although judging by the statue above the archway, it probably held onto much of its Roman Catholic heritage during the Reformation and judging by its website, it looks like its still a way further up the candlestick than I'm used to. But there it is.

The church building is also directly opposite an original Tudor inn, The Bull. This place has a good reputation for food and I remember a great meal there with my grandmother that day.

Turns out that the pub is actually owned by the church. I presume it's leased out but if the church ran it themselves it could be a truly fantastic place for ministry. Perhaps if I go back again one day and become vicar...

This is all something a bit light. Next week, I want to think some more about Anglican integrity...


1 comment:

  1. Maybe churches should start buying their neighbouring pubs as a means for community outreach.
    -Edward W

    ReplyDelete