Saturday, November 26, 2011

Beautiful Cathedral Prayers

One more from Christchurch Anglican Cathedral that was officially deconsecrated earlier this month. (I have a personal affection for Christchurch having stayed there for a while durning my honours year).

This parallel version of the Lord's Prayer in Maori and English was carved into the wall with what I think is a traditional 'mangotipi' pattern along the side (though won't be surprised if I'm wrong on that one).




I don't know if this survived the quake or if it will be salvaged during the demolition so I'm glad to at least have a photo.

I love that the Lord's Prayer can be translated and prayed in native languages. I love that the Maori takes precedence over the English here. This is a small but important sign that the Anglican Church is not just the global Church of England, but part of Christ's church that - for all its failures - has been giving the good news to different peoples from around the world so they can own it as their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment